Monday, November 7, 2011

Latest update...

SEEDLING HOUSE
Recently I was lucky enough to have a lovely couple from Germany stay with us on the WWOOFing programme. Franzi was a great help in the garden and paddock and a lovely person to spend time with. Her boyfriend Benni came to stay toward the end of the visit, and with such a handy skill as carpentry, I could not hold back in asking if he would build me a 'frame' to put my seedling trays into. He obliged and less than a week later I have built a plastic 'tent' for it. My daughter Lottie and I planted a whole pile of flower seeds that are sprouting nicely. I did however find a petrified slug that managed to get up to the top shelf. Better take the roof off in the day time or I'll kill my seeds.

CORIANDER /BASIL
The coriander and basil that was planted in the box is growing nicely next to the lettuce. The chives planted at the same time though aren't doing so well... there is one seedling that's come out of at least 100 seeds (yes I go for overkill)

DWARVES ARE CLIMBING - BEANS
So when I first planted the bean seeds, I am certain it said dwarf.. yet they are looking awfully like climbers, so in went the frames. A few will need to be moved as we don't really want them entwining themselves around the cucumbers.

CARROTS STILL A PROBLEM - GH ROOF CONCEPT
I am so sick to death of carrots at the moment. My toilet paper tape has only had minimal success. I happened to have a friend Sarah over today and after listening to my carrot stories and the fact that the dirt seems to be drying up so quickly, reminded me that the Greenhouse roof only went on a year ago... ah, click, penny dropped of cuorse, the old roof had 'mildew' or shall we call it a natural UV protection on it. Of course the plastic used is supposedly UV resistant too, but perhaps we need a coat of 'grub' on it yet. Must get on to that mulch/manure mix.

TOMATOES TWO LEAVE NOW THRIVING
A little while back, we gave in to the tomatoes that were only growing to two leaf stage and planted them anyway. I am thrilled to report that these are doing fantastically.

ZUKES STILL NOT GREAT - 6 PLANTED IN gh ONLY 2 COME UP
Sadly the slugs seem to be getting the zucchini seedlings. there is still one on each mound though. Perhaps we need to bite the bullet and buy the seedlings.

GUY FAWKES MUMMIES N GUMMIES MEETING
Guy Fawkes seemed like a fantastic time to get the families together for a do. We did the usual Kiwi BBQ approach where everyone bought a plate and figured everyone should bring a small amount of fireworks. Dinner was great, the volleyball game was played yet we're not really sure who 'won' and 1.5 hours of fireworks is probably a bit much for the kids. All in all a great success.

YAMS LOVING POSITION
Look at these yams, aren't they happy... now, only about 4 months left apparently.

ROGUE GARLIC
Last year I planted garlic here... collected the seed as it did absolutely nothing underground. My darling daughter distributed the seeds all over the floor one day and my dog found them there... so I didn't think I'd have any luck this year... however, it appears I didn't get them all before the seed fel to the ground, so lucky for me I have some rogue garlic's. Looking forward to them doing 'something' this year.

FLOWERS IN THE SEEDLING HOUSE
It's only been a few days and I have at least 100 poppies coming up in trays... so excited, I have never planted a flower garden but don't want to buy the plants. I have a huge gaden and not a great deal of money to spend on it. There is also 1 lufa, 1 soapwart, 2 marshmallow coming up... now hopefully the echinacea, feverfew, bells of ireland do something as well... although I may have fried them eysterday in the little sun-house.

THYME REVERTED
For a few years now I have had two types of thyme in the garden, only this year the variegated thyme seems to have reverted back to its original self. Quite frankly I am glad as the leaf is far softer and palatable.

No comments:

Post a Comment